Surveying & Engineering Resources
in Southeastern Wisconsin

Stay Informed When It Comes To Your Property

At North Shore Engineering, Inc. in Mequon, WI, the most important thing to us is taking care of our clients. We provide quality property survey services, civil engineer design, green infrastructure, and more. Although, our services are only as good as our customer satisfaction and that is why we strive to keep our clients informed and knowledgeable.

SPUR Mequon 16 Wooden Board

Frequently Asked Questions:


Will survey and engineering possibly help me with my yard drainage issues?

A topographic survey will show how the drainage flows in the area around your house. Potentially, there will be a design solution to alleviate ponding or other poor drainage issues in the area around your house.

Is it a good idea to have a completed survey of our property on file?

Your home is one of the biggest investments you will ever make. Having a property survey showing actual property lines, and all improvements on the lot such as structures, fences, outbuildings and their location on the lot is worthwhile and usually available at a fair and reasonable cost. Most property owners are not really aware of where their lot lines actually are and how improvements are situated on the lot.

How are the corners of my property marked?

Typically, property corners are marked with steel pipes driven flush with the surface of the ground. Over time, they will be covered over by lawn or plantings depending on what is in the area. If they exist, they can usually be located with a metal detector. Often, property owners think their lot is bordered by power poles, communication risers, hydrants, etc. This is usually not true and can be misleading.

Can i call my local municipality and have them perform my survey?

Local municipalities do not perform property surveys. They would most likely refer owners to a few surveyors who work in the area. The municipality may have a copy of an existing survey if work was completed on the property, such as a building addition or perhaps a fence.


What does it mean to be in a 100 year floodplain?

The 100-year floodplain is the land that is predicted to flood during a 100-year storm, which has a 1% chance of occurring in any given year. You may also hear the 100-year floodplain called the 1% annual chance floodplain or base flood. Areas within the 100-year floodplain may flood in much smaller storms as well.

Will an elevation certificate lower my flood insurance?

If your home or business is in a high-risk area, your insurance agent will likely need an Elevation Certificate (EC) to determine your flood insurance premium. If you do not have an Elevation Certificate, your property will typically be deemed high risk and you will be paying the largest premium for insurance. The higher your structure is in relation to the Base Flood Elevation (BFE), the lower the risk of flooding. Lower risk typically means lower flood insurance premiums.

How do you get out of a flood zone?

Maintain your current flood insurance coverage.
Contact a surveyor to perform an elevation certificate on your home.
Submit an application for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) to FEMA once you have received an elevation certificate showing your home to be above the floodplain.
Wait for FEMA to evaluate your application.

What is a LOMA?

A Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) is a document which revises a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Flood Map. North Shore Engineering can produce a LOMA, which will, in most cases, eliminate the need for flood insurance.

How much could I save?

The savings can be substantial over time. Insurance rates vary depending on the value of your home. The average flood policy in Wisconsin runs about $2,000 per year, but it is not uncommon to pay up to $4,000 per year.

Will my lender accept a LOMA?

Yes! FEMA issues a LOMA to evidence your home’s relationship with the Flood Zone. A LOMA supersedes the determinations provided by lenders and insurance companies. A LOMA certificate can reduce or remove the flood insurance requirement imposed by your lender.

Can I buy flood insurance if I don’t live in a floodplain?

You can get flood insurance if you live outside a floodplain or in a low-to-moderate flood-risk area, and at lower cost. You can buy flood insurance even if your mortgage lender doesn’t require it. And yet, very few homeowners have this coverage.
Source: National Flood Insurance Program 

If you have other questions, contact us at 262-241-9400 today!

Contact Us

Phone: 262-241-9400
Fax: 262-241-5337
Email Us Today


Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

BBB Accredited Business Logo
Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors Logo